China, India and the Sri Lanka Elections

By Nitin A. Gokhale — As the contest between Sirisena and Rajpaksa tightens with each day, there must be some worried folks back in Beijing. The Chinese presence in vital sectors of Sri Lanka is huge, and the opposition, led by Sirisena and backed by former President Chandrika Kumaratunga and former Prime Minister Ranil Wickramasinghe, is not exactly well-disposed towards Beijing. Consider this: Between 2005 and 2012, China provided $4.8 billion as assistance to Sri Lanka. Of this only 2 percent has been in the form of outright grants; the remaining 98 percent took the form of soft loans. By contrast, a third of India’s 1.6 billion dollars in assistance to the island comprises outright grants.

काँङ्ग्रेस–एमाले, भूल स्वीकार गर

स्वयम्भुनाथ कार्की — त्यसैले राजतन्त्रलाई हराइयो भनेर आफैँलाई तक्मा दिनुभन्दा आफ्नो यो आन्दोलनको सफलता कसरी हुन्छ त्यता तर्फ सोच पुर्यानउनु नै बुद्धिमानी हुन्छ। अर्काको आन्दोलनमा सहभागिता जनाइ त्यसलाई आफ्नो आन्दोलन भन्ने र जहाँजहाँ आन्दोलन हुन्छ त्यस त्यस ठाँउमा आफ्नो बचेखुचेको शक्तिलाई झन छरपष्ट गर्ने कामले हिजोका मूलधारका मानिएका कांग्रेस, एमालेले नगरेकै बेश। पूर्व पारिएका राजाको समर्थनमा जुट्दै गरेको ठूलो जनसाधारणको समूहलाई राजा वा राजतन्त्रको सत्तो सराप गरेर चिड्याउदा केही तथाकथित बुद्धिजीवी भनाइनेहरुको ताली त पाइएला तर आन्दोलनले भने जनसमर्थन गुमाउदै जाने पक्का छ। अहिले सत्तोसराप गरिएको माओवादीलाई यो स्थानमा मखमल ओछ्याएर निमन्त्रण गर्ने काम यिनै दलहरुले नै गरेका हुन भन्ने कुरा सर्वसाधारणलाई प्रष्ट छ। त्यसैले आफ्नो त्यो भूल स्वीकार गरेर पश्चाताप नगरेसम्म केवल डुक्रेर मात्र केही हुने छैन भन्ने सदवुद्धि पलाओस।

संकटमोचनको एउटै मन्त्र राष्ट्रवाद

राष्ट्रवादीलाई स्वभिमानले आफै वरण गर्दछ, अनि स्वभिमानीलाई आत्मबलले कसै गरेर पनि छोडन सक्दैन। भविष्यमा अग्रगमन हुन्छ भन्ने नाममा उन्नति वा प्रगति हुन्छ भन्ने बिरवलको खिचडी...

हङकङ प्रदर्शन भित्रको भूराजनीति

रणनीतिक विश्लेषण राजनीति शास्त्री दिपक गजुरेल तथा कूटनीतिज्ञ हिरण्यलाल श्रेष्ठ क्यापिटल टिभीका लागि कृष्ण तिमल्सिना सँग वार्ता  https://youtu.be/RzDxr3aIq4s

Power Aspirant, Mind Your Head

By Deepak Gajurel — Yes, not only Gyanendra and Shah dynasty would have continued had he in 2005, or his slain brother Birendra some 15 years back signed the Delhi-sent document. It is another question how long would that survival be. Remember Mohan Shamsher and 1950 treaty? Knowing every details about everything, all nooks and corners, ups and downs, any aspirant to Nepal's state power must study history, analyze things, realize the changed milieu, possible effective strategy and implementation thereof. This student of political science warns any such aspirant to refrain from mercy of any kind, from anyone. The most important thing is vision. Be clear on vision, at least on agendas, for the nation. Only a fool can hope to rule this nation as was done in the past. Gone are those days. Don't dance with the tune from without.

‘Unmaking Nepal’ through Madhesh!

By Sujit Mainali — Based on this historical experience, Kathmandu should oppose tooth and nail not to allow the formation of Madhesh province on the southern flank of Nepal to thwart the secessionist voice and intent. While doing so, abundance care should be taken not to let the real son of soil from Tarai feel abandoned. The polarization that could be triggered by such a strong move of Kathmandu may stir the country temporarily. The Madhesh based parties, along with the Unified Maoists and the other so-called adherer of Singular Identity may resort to street thereby paralyzing the daily livelihood of the country and bringing down the national economy to the state of temporary halt. This could further polarize the country and the Kathmandu can garner overwhelming support of the patriotic nationalist thereby enabling it to tackle with the crisis strongly and with full confident.